Friday, May 10, 2019

Sock Show Friday

It's been such a relief to get back to sock knitting that isn't only the size 0 (2.0 mm) painfully small yarn work. Sure, I love the colors but the sheer speed at which a sock on size 1 (2.25 mm) needles and Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Lightweight Knits up... it's something of a relief. 

Wednesday I was in an 8 hour training that essentially boiled down to being told how to have conversations in a way that I am already socialized to do. The women in the room kept checking in with each other behind the scenes going "but... this is just normal, so --they're saying talk the way women are both told to/penalized for doing?" But it was a chance to have some serious chats with women I do really enjoy working with and I don't see often, we're always sprinting in opposite directions. 


I'd only brought these socks and started worrying mid-afternoon that I needed to do a toe check soon. Fortunately, there were extra needles in the knitting bag so I could flip the skein around and start on Sock 2. Take off about 2.5" of the foot of Sock 1 and that's how much knitting was in the session. Along with some note taking/scenario role-playing/curiosity about why they weren't addressing systemic culture issues/racism/sexism/when this behavior needs to be brought to HR rather than "handled in a personal peer-to-peer conversation." *  There was a lot of sock knitting needed. 




 I've also drug this pair of socks out of the desk drawer. Yes, literally. This sock has been in my drawer since 2016 -- mostly waiting for me to bring in DPNs so I could turn the heel. I've done that now and the sock is progressing much more quickly. 

Next week is a travel week, so hoping for monogamous travel knitting. Or maybe two projects. We'll see. 


* Seriously, one of the scenarios was "Julie tells co-worker Paul that it's really obvious that he's slacking" and another was "Many people at your job take things home from work even tho it's against policy. You've noticed that your coworker is taking a hard drive home to test new software and decide to step in."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...