Sunday, February 25, 2024

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020, amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd accomplish for Stash Dash that year.  

And then they sat. I usually try to keep a backlog of finished socks here and there, sometimes I need a new pair, sometimes they are for a gift or I just haven't seen my mother in a while to have her try on whatever it is that fits around here.  She and AudioGirl continue to get first rummage through my finished objects--though it the pair is too small for all of us, then obviously Sibling the Elder gets those. 

But somewhere in there, moths made some damage, necessitating a complete rip out and redo. 

A ball of yarn where one sock has been ripped out next to a sock awaiting it's ripping fate.


Having yarn in the quantities that I have means that the moth battles are continual. The stash lives in double layers of plastic and gets upended into piles regularly to check for damage. Finished projects get dried and into Ziplocks. I have traps up. But even with all that, occasionally I will see damage and when you consider there was a move and the first few years of this endless pandemic rolling along... I can't say I'm dreadfully surprised.  

Restarted socks after having ripped them both out

Originally I thought these socks would just need a repair on each sock but it turned out it was more like 3 different break points on each-- spread across legs and feet and heels. And while I believe the leftovers are here somewhere (glances at a giant bag of leftovers that I 100% did not go rummaging through), I knew that trying to do that many repairs would leave a lot of extra rubbing spots and so, time for a redo. 

I ripped the socks out while watching a mandatory training -- preserve me from trainings that have a "click here to continue" every 35 seconds. But the training is done, the socks are restarted. 

The yarn is Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight in the Harvest Star colorway. I've been working on acquiring more BMFA STR-L for socks recently through Ravelry trade/sale contacts. I have a couple of long pending orders with BMFA but it's unclear when those will come through and so I want a backlog. Fortunately, a few very nice people have been more than willing to trade yarn for dollars.  

Bigger issue of course is do I have space for any new yarn? Of course I do not. But space has never been a primary consideration when beautiful yarn is involved. 

I should also see about getting that sock project in my entryway and putting it on my desk rather than far enough away that I can't reach it and therefore don't have it when I have five minutes and another training video to watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...