Processing Along...

I make no effort to hide that I'm a process knitter, nor that I mostly knit because I need something to do with my hands. Other than an occasional "what are you working on now?" for my friends it's just par for the course. My co-Kiwanians (Tuesday lunch group) actually find it more disturbing if I don't break out the knitting. 

Computer knitting of late, thought it should be the blue/green mitts, has been a one row handspun scarf (Yarn Harlot pattern) out of some Wool-Ease Thick and Quick that's been taking up space in the den/library/stash area/storage/computer space portion of the apartment. I started it in August's heat (as memory serves) and the weekend's 85F highs seemed oh so appropriate for finishing it, as I did yesterday. That took about 1.25 skeins of yarn and of course, what is a scarf without matching hat.

I grabbed my friend Tina's Sugar Twist Hat pattern, which I have been meaning to make for a while, and cast on. I remembered something thing as I worked: I don't like using DPNs with super bulky wool.  Note to self: invest in size 10, size 10.5, and size 11 16" needles (also, why doesn't the US have a 7.00 mm needle?).  But the good news is that the pattern is less than 40 rows and then you're done! Hat!

Only, I don't need another hat and scarf. I have several lovely hats and several scarves. Aaaaaand it doesn't really fit on the gift list for the excess of holiday knitting that I really should be working on right now. Fortunately, I mentioned this dilemma to the Incredibly-Patient-Mother and she offered to take them off my hands.  Which is good because the "random project" basket is getting full.

I keep casting on and knitting projects without any particular direction other than that I feel like knitting them.  A second Sock Head hat because one is never enough? A green/purple shawl? Fingerless gloves in a shade of red I don't wear? I grasp that it's never bad to have a stash of knitted gifts in reserve but some of these are a little eclectic. 

Fortunately, of the 5 hours I spent knitting today (approximate but it was at least 1 disc of Big Bang Theory Season 3 plus extras, 1 disc of Ranger's Apprentice Book 7, and some other time in between) , I did spend a large chunk of time working on the red Clapotis.  It's come out of the Project Chair for BBT Season 3 and I'm happy to report that by the time I got through all the extras (and The Beatles' Hard Day's Night at wee hours of Sunday morning), I had reached the decrease rounds. I have Season 1 of CSI-Miami to tackle now, which really should see me through two or three shawls.

Not tonight though, wired as I am, my hands are starting to ache a bit.Though I have to say the super bulky green/taupe afghan that I started last year for instant knitting gratification and no planned recipient is starting to look like fun to pick up again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting Adjacent

You Should Too...

There had better be time on the plane...