Tuesday, July 4, 2023

I'll Just...

 The eyes of my knitting are always faster than my hands, bigger than my stomach, choose your metaphor. And yet it is a near constant that I will find myself reviewing the stash and starting a sentence with "I'll just..."

"I'll just whip up a baby blanket"

"I'll just make a full size adult sweater this week." 

"I'll just spend some time this summer making a few new shawls and six pair of socks." 

Four skeins of yarn -- orange, brown, green, and a dark red. Fall colors. They are freshly wound in optimism

It's fascinating the ongoing disconnect between what I think I can accomplish in the limited time that is allocated to my knitting these days and the wonderful belief that these projects won't take tens to hundreds of hours each.  


The midsummer / July 4th weekend Must Review The Stash pang hit and I ended up going through the yarn bins at length over the weekend. Part of this was because it's been a year, always good to pull things out and see what you have, check for damage, reallocate bin space. And part of it was to actively get a few things into the Sell or Give Away piles.  


A view across my office floor with the entire yarn stash and it's bins spread out. There's no floor visible, just a sea of yarn


And I did end up winding up more yarn -- two more shawls that I've had yelling at the back of my head, yarn for a couple of pair of socks, and one more honey cowl for when I finish the one I quite literally just started. 

A large green bin *overflowing* with project bags.


Here's the final work in progress / wound yarn for socks/Honey Cowls of Fall 2023 bucket. So what if I have only knit one shawl this year (oh right, you need the final details on that) and three pair of socks. I've got almost six months left, right? 

I'll just.... get started. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...