Monday, January 3, 2022

Shhh, I'm Knitting - 2022 Goals

It's fascinating how after a week away from the constancy of inbox, Zoom calls, and minor emergencies that arise with disturbing regularity my brain reaches for crafting and reading. I think I knit for four or five hours yesterday, working on at least three different projects. I'm 2-3 hours of crafting into today and by no mean am I done yet. 

Which of course means that work really kicks in tomorrow as I need to prep for the spring semester and I'm back to the office on Wednesday unless we hear otherwise due to Omicron.  So far, what instruction we had hoped to do in person has been hard moved back to online for the foreseeable future.  


But at the moment all I want to do is sit in my breakfast nook corner and see how many hexagons I can make. Why yes, I do have a new project -- when I was unpacking I realized that the amount of fingering weight yarn leftovers has gotten past the point of functional. When the leftovers need several large bins of their own, it's time to find something to do with them. And so it was off to search for patterns I liked and which I thought I could commit to for the next 3-5 years.  (No one said this was going to be a *fast* knit.) I landed on Margarita's Coverlet (Rav Link), which is comprised of individual hexagons that each take somewhere around 9.5-10 grams of yarn.  

 
(Second Hexagon, Same as The First)

I have since realized that this will not actually reduce the amount of things taking up stash space for a while, which is a bit of a problem. But a differently shaped one -- this will be a project rather than random leftover skeins so clearly it's not the same thing, right? I'm on hexagon 3 from these leftovers of Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight. For a decent sized coverlet per the pattern it looks like I'll need at least 115. That's going to be a lot of sock yarn leftovers. Goal for tomorrow (in between updating my Blackboard site for my data course) is to rummage through one of my big bins and sort out what is fingering weight and can be used and what isn't and should go into some other scrap yarn project.   


I'm also working on a hat for the Philosopher -- he wanted something a little lighter than the super deep winter one he wears when it's single digits (although, this week he will need that one). And while I made him a watchcap two years ago, neither of us knows where that is. I was looking at pictures of it and we were trying to figure out where we could possibly have been going. Oh right, that was before the pandemic. 

It's been a rough couple of years. 

Other projects currently having moved into rotation are a miniskein shawl, a new pair of socks, and work on the giant pink afghan that may someday be a completed object. Maybe even this year. 

All five of these projects did make it on my goal list for 2022, which was scribbled into a Google Keep Note on New Year's Day with at least some specific intentions in mind. It's not a short list -- currently sitting at 25 projects. It's a very doable list if I'm somewhere closer to my 2020 / 2019 levels of knitting productivity as opposed to my 2021 levels. And, as per usual, there's that underlying goal of maybe at the end of the year all the yarn will fit into only the bins rather than the bins, the extra bins, the side bags, the spare box, and over there and around here somewhere.  That will probably require more than 25 projects but I'll give it a good go. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...