Tuesday, November 2, 2021

NaNoBloMo: Knitting Every Day?

Cheers! For the month of November I'm trying NaNoBloMo: blogging everyday across my three blogs. For details about this and what passes for a plan, please see the November 1 entry on Hedgehog Librarian.

In addition to trying to write everyday, I'm also trying to get back to normal for me which should include knitting every single day. 

I've barely blogged about knitting and yarn this year and part of that was moving -- okay a fair amount of that was moving -- but also I just stopped knitting for weeks at a time, which is the first time probably since my college years that this was true. I'm the knitter, right? 

(Sock Leg Detail in BMFA Socks That Rock)


I'm the one one who has at least one project with her at all times, maybe two projects, and if it's a bad day -- four. 

My finished object pile for the year is tiny and the stash definitely went up by quite a lot; mostly due to Franklin Habit's garage sale before his move to Paris.  I'd set myself a goal of knitting 25 unique things this year, so far I've completed 8. It's November.  


(Single sock on size 0s, Lisa Souza Sawk)

Sure, I could slam through 15 hats pretty quickly and get some of the single skeins of Worsted and DK out of the way and certainly I could use the space in the bins, which are as ever utterly overflowing. But like most of my arbitrary goals, I know that won't make me happy about my work and there's limited knitting time so it needs to be well applied. 

So in addition to writing, I'm trying to make time to knit. At least three days a week I have my train commute back, so that should be time there at least in one direction if not both. While my meetings of late haven't allowed me to focus on my knitting, I also know that I focus better and meetings can actually go faster if I'm knitting rather than trying to triage my email at the same time -- a very bad habit I've gotten into due to the reality of 6-7 hours of Zoom calls a day and an inbox that doesn't know the meaning of the word STOP. 


(One sock overlaying another -- second sock about halfway to the toe)


Yesterday and today have been working aggressively on these socks. One pair is the first I cast on for the year and still not finished but almost to the toe of the second sock. Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Lightweight is always an acceptable yarn and repacking it into a *large* bin at the Chateau has reinforced just how much I have and which could be warming feet.

The burgundy sock is a new base from the ever delightful Lisa Souza, her Sawk base. I'm trying this out with a pair for a long time friend who needs to plan for an extra cold commute this year.  It's amazing how much faster socks go when one does more than carry the bag around. 

I've also started the regular compiling of Works-In-Progress next to my breakfast nook chair. It's not any smaller than it's ever been and I have of course forgotten have of the projects until I reopen them and go "ooooh, that's where those needles are... riiiight."  

But at least if they are started they can go into rotation. And I might start one or two new things, just in case.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...