Friday, November 5, 2021

NanoBloMo: Miniskein Plans

Jenna asked over on Twitter about what I'd make with miniskeins/Advent calendars... 

I am late to the miniskein craze and, truth be told, I'm unlikely to fully embrace it the way some others have -- it's like self-striping sock yarn. It's very pretty but I don't tend to use them and buying stash I pretty much know I won't use seems counter productive.  I've found a similar problem with Advent Calendars. I love the idea of a yarn advent calendar and I was delighted with the one I got from Wollmeise in 2020. But I haven't knit with anything from it.

The miniskein packs I have bought are mostly gradients (Unique Sheep / Fiber Optics) or very targeted colors that I plan to use with a specific solid. So what are the patterns that I like for these?  

(These are Ravelry links -- I'm not sure which of these designers provide other options)


It's extremely rare that I would choose a pattern by this designer -- but this is one of his that I do like. (AudioGirl is probably boggling at the moment) And I think it'd work well with mini skeins if you can lay them out in a color progression that makes sense to you.  His patterns are clearly laid out and there are several in the shawl shaping series that could work for matching up sets. 


I have been attempting to make this shawl for years. I think it looks so cool. But it requires a touch more focus than meeting knitting, which often meant it couldn't be brought along as work knitting. I have, however, finally found the project I want to use it for -- Stranded Dyeworks did a Pride Flag colors gradient over the summer and I think this will be perfect. 

It's a planned gift for a friend who I am hoping will really love it when eventually it comes off the needles. 


Depending on the size of your advent calendar minis, this is another one that probably needs to pair with a skein of solids but could use up some larger chunks/do two colors striped as each of the gradient colors and let you do some interesting color progression work.  Carin from Round the Twist made one a few years ago that I loved.  

And then of course there's always Rebecca Danger's monsters


And Bunny Nuggets or Monster Chunks make lovely small stocking stuffers, thinking of you gifts, cat toys, etc. Depending on your preference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...