Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The Address Box and Loopy T&G

 A habit I inherited from my mother is how I store mailing addresses -- which is on lined 3x5 cards in a box with alphabetical sorters. This means that scrolling through the cards can trigger some very specific memories: both of my grandmothers cards are still in there (they are both deceased), a card with a college boyfriend's information, cross reference cards for a couple of families where I never remember which last name I filed things under. 

I have some addresses stored electronically, mostly of friends whose houses I need to drive to but inevitably I go back to the cards. Birthdays, children's names, spouse names, cell numbers. And things get crossed out and updated as life continues to evolve.  One friend did a get a new card when she remarried -- before I'd just aggressively blocked out his name. 

Opalescent by Dominique Trad
Malabrigo Rios

And then today, AudioGirl texted, did I remember an address she'd been at a few years ago? She knows about the box -- we lived together and she's seen the box in action for Christmas cards. To make things fast, I just sent her a picture of the entire front of her card. (The back only has her current address).  It's a wealth of information -- seeing how my handwriting has changed, seeing where all around Chicago she has lived -- the scribbled notation of her phone and birthday, information I actually can recite if pressed.  

It was a very fast walk through time for both of us -- the place with the built-in hutch, the place where she painted the bedroom bright green, the place where moving out day involved a very angry cat in the front seat of my car and a street fair.  

I also finished yesterday my final Loopy Academy Talented and Gifted Semester (yes, AudioGirl, I ended up doing this semester).  It was a designer study -- knit three items by one designer. I did 3 of Dominique Trad's cowls.  All of her designs are well written, easy to modify, and produce really lovely final products. Everything I made was out of Malabrigo, which was an added joy.  

I'm still on track to make 20km this year -- although the number of days left is getting shockingly small!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...