Sunday, February 9, 2020

More Hot Pink Dental Floss

As an instructor, one of my tasks with graduate students is to help them find the appropriate scope for their project. As a mentor, I talk to my colleagues about the "small but elegant" papers that my mentor guided me through as we plan not one paper for a giant question/idea but three or four.  You might therefore think that, cognizant as I am of my own spring semester obligations, I would have some sense of appropriately sized Loopy Graduate Projects. Reader, I continue to be wildly and completely optimistic and rather unrealistic.  


I am, however, on Chart D.  As introduced before, this is Aello -- a stunning lace shawl pattern by Marnie MacLean, a designer whose work almost always jumps immediately into my queue. I've never actually knit one of her patterns before, however, which I'm finding to have been an error on my part.  This has been a very clear pattern to knit.  

I thought this was my first bottom up shawl, though a search through the archives proves me wrong. I did a Wendy Johnson pattern a couple of years ago that was bottom up. That was knit from one skein of beloved sock yarn though. This is a bit of leveling up. The yarn feels about half as thick as the Wollmeise Laceweight I used in 2018. I am reasonably confident that I could floss with it if needs truly must. Delicate yarn this, though strong. I've never had concern that the yarn will snap.  


Because this is a lace pattern and despite the rest rows, this hasn't left Chez Hedgehog except for a visit to a couple of other knitters who were very interested in seeing it in person. It is absolutely not train/commute knitting and I say that as a very confident knitter of many other things in public.  I sit in my breakfast nook, usually negotiating lap space with a cat, and work through a few more rows. 

I'm currently 77% done, per Marnie and the completion of Chart C.  Chart D will take me down close to 120 stitches IIRC and then the rows will truly fly.  

And it's all I want to do. I'm ignoring laundry, housekeeping (the cat fur dust buffaloes will just get marginally larger, right?), the work I brought home this weekend, all of it. I just want to knit pink wool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...