Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Still Going the Wrong Way

If I am committed to less stash in 2020, I am going about it the wrong way.  Long time readers will know that I tend to go on yarn buying sprees in the early part of the year as a way to combat winter ennui. There's a logic model that says if I surround myself with brilliant color and support a few more indie dyers, we'll all come out the other side, spring will arrive and we'll have green and sunshine and blue skies again.

Suddenly the hot pink shawl makes more sense, doesn't it? A kind of desire to NOT deal with any of the more muted tones in my stash?


I have actually finished a project! The Philsopher asked for a light wool cap that he could wear on days when it's not quite cold enough for the heavy scarf/hat combo I knit a few years ago. This is most of a half skein of Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Mediumweight in the Puck's Mischief Colorway. The pattern was the January Swatchcap  and came together in a couple of days. 


It's a satisfyingly quick knit, unlike certain shawls that are well into their second month. But for that half skein wandering out of the stash there's also been new arrivals. 


Technically I don't think this should count. I ordered it in February 2019.  Tina and the BMFA team was working to ensure that my beloved Socks That Rock base was going to consistently be available - -a challenge I cannot imagine trying to navigate with changing wool, mills, and other issues that they've faced. I was thrilled to contribute and this lovely showed up right at the end of January. It's beautiful, as always, and I think it'll be a pair of socks for me.  I'm noticing that my own sock drawer is looking a bit ragged around the edges. (Also I'm watching archival episodes of the Stranded Podcast and she has 60+ pair of handknit socks just for her...I feel like I could have a few more pairs without being selfish.) 


This stunning new yarn though is from KnittinBro, a new to me indie dyer.  He was teasing some pictures of it online and I queued up a window at the time I knew he'd be updating.  You'll definitely want to follow him on Instagram if you're interested in getting his yarn -- it's small batches or at events, etc.  


It looks like an oil slick--and the colorway is called All of the Lights. I got two skeins of DK, which is apparently my new thing when I can't sort out what else I'd like to get. 

Send me your favorite 1-2 skein DK weight projects that aren't baby objects; a Hedgehog needs to work through some really interesting small projects and *use* some of these beautiful skeins.  

(Yarn Ravelry Stash Entry Count is at 220. Unfortunately, neither of the projects that I finished this week took me down a number because I have another skein/still have more than 1/2 skein left of the color and it's too significant a yardage to just go into the leftovers bin.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...