Saturday, April 23, 2016

We Came, We Saw, We YarnConned, Part 2

You didn't think I *only* bought fiber and a spindle at YarnCon did you? AudioGirl is the best of shopping buddies--one part enabling and one part "put down the blue sock yarn already."

I had been hoping that 2 Guys Yarn Co would be back this year but I didn't see them. We did see a fair number of alpaca superbulky yarns wound with thread--apparently for rugs? And I learned that AudioGirl's bathroom rug went walkabout, which is sad. I'm not sure I can buy that yarn anymore...

I did have one planned project that I was searching for yarn for-- Nuvem by Martina Behm. I have seen this pattern several times, but it was only recently that I suddenly decided I must get yarn for it and start knitting it.

And so I stumbled into the Dragonfly Fibers booth. I adore their work and it wasn't long until I came upon Pixie Firecracker.

IMG_7895

Pixie is a fine single and I bought all that they had, even though that leaves me a couple of hundred yards shy.  Fortunately, next to it was solid skein that looks very nice with it and will do well for the ruffle, I think.

IMG_7896

I want to see how big it is and how I feel about it before I start the ruffle.

That wasn't our only stop. I popped it at Fleur de Fiber, whose booth was mobbed due to a moving sale, she's relocating out of Chicago and there wasn't much left mid-afternoon on Saturday. I'm guessing Sunday shoppers got very slim pickings.  I'm going to miss seeing her at least twice a year at local conferences. She is the first indie-dyer I remember picking up after I moved back to Chicago this time.












Last but certainly not least, the sale bin at Grinning Gargoyle was calling out.  This was the first yarn that I bought--as we wandered through, overwhelmed by so many options.

   
I have no idea what I'll do with these. AudioGirl thought the Philosopher might like the neon yellow, but I don't know. It's funky, for sure but guessing it'll end up as deep stash for a few years.  

I really love this con--my only suggestion for next year would be to start classes 15 minutes after the doors open. There was quite a queue to get in, mostly for the first-50 goodie bags and with doors not properly unlocked and people *stopping* to open their bags, the rest of us behind had trouble going forward and getting out of the cold and to our classes or shopping. The organizers seemed very cognizant of that, though and I expect next year will be a little smoother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...