Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Adventures in Shelving: Part 7 of Several

 Yes, I'm aware there was a break in progress. Meet the fall semester in a household of two people who work at universities -- one of whom is actively teaching 3 different courses plus a slew of NIH DMP presentations and the other of whom is in a law program.  Our priorities involve getting the cats fed and snuggled, bookshelves will eventually get sorted.

So shelving staining was completed, the piles of shelves came inside and tuckpointing on our 1920s brick building did indeed commence. The men were diligent in their labor and also in managing to make very heavy loud noises directly over my head during meetings frequently. 


Now there needed to be Odie's Oil on all of the shelves. This was, again, the Philosopher's project. Fortunately, it can be done indoors but it's still pretty labor intensive and, while the Chateau isn't small, there's not good space for sprawling 27 shelves around.  


The uprights moved directly into where they would finally go -- I'm really thrilled with how those turned out and how it contrasts with the stained shelves. It gives a sharper contrast between the sections and looks very solid. 

Anyways....once the Philosopher got a few shelves done, it was time to start getting things vertical. Harder said than done because again, we don't have empty rooms. Also I'll admit I kind of missed it when he was putting up the third and fourth verticals? I watched/helped this one go together but I think he got the others up before I got home one night? It was a process. There are rubber pads and felt underneath everything to make sure our floors are okay. 


Additionally, there was a brief detour through birthdays. The Incredibly Patient Mother has been on the hunt for "art deco book ends" for us, she's very aware of all of the books we're about to unload upon these shelves and that there will be a lot of room for some visual surprises.  See all these cool patterns? 


Last Friday, the final shelves had been oiled and aired for 48 hours, and we were ready to play layout. While these shelves are indeed flexible, the reality is that once they are loaded we aren't going to want to take things down anytime soon. I'll have to dust periodically but those big floofy wands are looking increasingly charming (send ideas if you have dust floofs you recommend for your shelves). 


Oh, and yes we had to immediately weight the shelving down with book boxes -- felines do indeed enjoy climbing.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...