Saturday, June 11, 2022

I'll Be In the Yarn Stash

 It's World Wide Knit in Public today. Was I in public with knitting? Yes. Did I actually make real live stitch count progress? No....Sadly pushing a grocery cart or catching a toddler on a slide neither lend themselves to knitting. But I was carrying my sock in solidarity. 

If you've followed along for a while, you know that yarn purchasing is a sign of many potential things. It can be a sign of a good yarn festival, or of a new amazing dyer, or of a Tuesday. But frequently it's a stress symptom -- such that when I reached a point a couple of weeks ago where I realized it was Thursday and I'd just placed my *fourth* yarn order of the week. The yarn has been rolling in... here's what's arrived. 

Four skeins of yarn, one is a mixed of multi colors of green and orange, one is a bright orange, two are a blue green mix. Yarn is from Ewetopia Fiber

It's been a minute since I ordered from Ewetopia Fiber, though I read their newsletter ravenously and was stalking this new Helix DK yarn after Kathryn returned from some spring festivals.  Her color sense always is so incredibly delightful and since I am actively working on socks to replenish some sock drawers that are looking a little sparse after ten years of wear -- some Wisco Sock seemed very appropriate.  

Picture of a skein of Neighborhood Fiber Arts Yarn. The yarn is bright blue with black tones.

Picture of a skein of Neighborhood Fiber Arts Yarn. The yarn is bright blue with black tones.
Next was a stunning skein from Neighborhood Fiber Co in the colorway to honor Ketanji Brown Jackson who will become the first Black woman to serve as a Supreme Court Justice this summer. I also have her Michelle Obama and Kamala Harris colorways, all on different bases.  It's such a stunning color, part of me wants to hoard it forever, part of me wants to instantly knit it. Which side will win?  


I have to admit, I was surprised how quickly my order from Stranded Dyeworks -- who is in Scotland -- arrived. These are two new colorways from Jude -- Plant Parent and Archive.  I got the Plant Parent on DK, which is my favorite of his bases and Archive on Merino Silk. I have a couple of shawl ideas for that one, maybe a Franklin Habit? His work almost always shows off a beautiful semi-solid well. 

Two skeins of a plum purple yarn from the PEriwinkle Sheep

A skein of sock yarn -- it's orange and purple and VERY Bright

The end of a skein of sock yarn. It's a pale pink with pops of purple, green, blue and others.

Finally, these four skeins came in from Dye Hard Yarns, who is here in the Chicagoland area. The owner recently contracted COVID and was asking for a little extra help as she needed to take time to heal.  Support in terms of buying stunning yarn and hanging tight? You bet.  The purple is DK from the Periwinkle Sheep, who is another new to me dyer. The two skeins of sock yarn are Baah La Jolla.  They'll be lovely to make up into shawls or cowls. Probably not socks? But we shall see. 

That's not all the yarn coming my way-- there are a couple of custom dye jobs headed this way eventually but I'm clearly not in a rush. There's plenty of yarn in the stash.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...