Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Cast On, Rip Off, Wind Up, Re-Sort

For some people it's spring cleaning; for me it's the week between Christmas and New Years. It's a holding pattern of time, full of both nothing and everything, which sees me fresh from holiday knitting deadlines and desperate to cast on all the things while all the same time I want to buy all the yarn that's on end of year sale. 

So far I have resisted. 

That doesn't mean there's not new yarn in the house though! Sibling-the-Younger, who has recently gotten really into crochet, is quickly appreciating the beautiful colors of yarn that about from dyers like the fantastic Fiber Optics. He got me three skeins for Christmas! 



Two different unified gradients! I was instantly rootling through my Nim Teasdale patterns in my head trying to decide which I wanted to work on first. The colors are so vibrant and the yarn so soft. 

A Giving Tuesday yarn purchase from Oink also arrived! This is Soil Mates on the Mystic Base.  From their site "We will be donating 40% of gross sales to organizations working to end violence against Native and Indigenous people in North America."  A cause I can definitely support *and* incredible yarn. Yes, please. 


Mystic is Oink's DK base so you can guess what these will be right? Right? Yes, the 14 people jumping up and down saying "a honey cowl!" You are correct.  I've already wound the skeins (and several other) to have a few honey cowl sets ready to go. I just finished one, so obviously anther will be on the needles soon. 

And finally, to try and stem the ooh-shiny --- The Philosopher got my yarn shelves rebuilt and the stash is at least mostly arranged again. 


As usual, the stash overwhelms me a little, mostly because I know exactly how long it would take for me to use all of this yarn. It's not that I don't want to, far from it, but I could knit for several years, especially at my 2021 speed [read, not very fast/far] and still have plenty of beautiful options. 

To try and stave off feeling completely buried, I have cast on several new things in addition to doing a solid hour of yarn winding this afternoon. The Philosopher requested a new hat; AudioGirl has mentioned that her socks are holey (which means a few other people's are as well, me included); and there's always more things I want to make. 

Tomorrow or next day I need to do my year end analysis. I don't think I'll cast anything else off between now and then so it's time to compile the list. See what 2021 has brought us and what I hope for in the new year.  

Can't wait to hear your plans. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...