Saturday, January 2, 2021

Not Really Like a Plan

Someone asked over the past few days whether I actually planned to knit another 20km in 2021. It's physically possible -- certainly -- but 2020 was quite the lesson in having plans disrupted, changed, or abandoned. Trying to make significant plans for 2021 has been hard all the way around. I'm back to work on Monday and most of that will then be the regular teaching sprint that is the front half of the semester. I feel really separated from work right now; and yes that took a solid week to achieve. 

So I don't have yardage or X quantity of Y pattern goals at present; I'm sure something will come up and in the interim -- I certainly have some general knitting planned.

While collaboratively watching an episode of the Great Canadian Bake-off just before the dregs of 2020 were hustled out the door, I broke out the swift and ballwinder and a few of the skeins I wanted to tackle in the new year.  This is just slightly under an hour of winding. 



AudioGirl pointed out that it's been nearly a decade since I was last truly on a sock binge. It looks like the last year that I knit more than 5-6 pairs was 2013. As a result, well, her sock drawer was starting to wear a little thin. Considering I too have had a few blowouts and I'm sure the Incredibly Patient Mother has as well, that suggests that I should get back to some sock knitting. With quite a lot of Blue Moon Fiber Arts floating around the stash, that's no hardship. 



I wound three skeins specifically for socks -- including the replacement Chasing Flamingos skein which went missing on the train last year. 

But that's not the only BMFA -- I also pulled out this three pack, which has been waiting for me to stop neglecting it and knit a second Color Affection. I love wearing my Color Affection shawl -- it's warm and all the fall colors and it's amazingly flattering. Works with everything. These three skeins were from a moon pack that Tina did after/around the total solar eclipse event that we had. I finally have them wound and ready to go.  It feels like progress. 


Beyond that, well, you hadn't thought that I was entirely out of Honey Cowls, had you? I have at least 6 more that I'm planning to knit; along with socks they are such a wonderful and also attending your very important meeting project.  


There's some purple -- there's always more purple to be knit up and with a surfeit of Northwestern fans -- usually homes easily found for all of them. 


This Miss Babs Yowza skein I had intended to split between two other DK skeins so I could use up single skeins. Instead, this will probably be one of the cowls for one of the men in my life who prefers a slightly more neutral look. 


Finally I'm excited about this pairing and I've already cast it on -- that was amongst my New Years Day Knitting -- it's a skein of Cascade Heritage, which is uneventful, but it's paired with a skein from Amy Florence of Stranded Dyeworks. They are such simple colors -- Old Overalls and a Gray and I think they work perfectly together. It might not be my best choice with the gray dreariness out of doors but I have a super bright socks to counter balance. 

At my usual knitting speed, these should take me through about April. I am sure though that a few other projects will sneak in for variety.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...