Tuesday, December 29, 2020

20 Kilometers Yarn Completed

This morning M and I had a long chat and I used the phone call to finish up one more hat and weave in the ends on fingerless mitts that have been lingering in a project bag for three years. And without fanfare -- that did it. I've used up 20km of yarn in 2020.  

This year I've knit (or finished up)

  • 37 Washcloths
  • 22 Hats
  • 12 Honey Cowls
  • 6 Other Cowls
  • 5 Large Shawls 
  • 5 Cotton Crocheted Bags
  • 2 Pair of Socks
  • 2 Pair of Fingerless Mitts
  • 2 Scarves (if you can count the Oak Park scarf as *one* scarf)
  • 1 Adult Sweater
  • 1 Baby Sweater
  • 1 Set of Toddler Mittens
  • 1 Baby Blanket

The year began with the Honey Cowl parade, a baby blanket for Jenny, and the most delicate lace shawl I've knit to date. I'm still trying to figure out where I'll wear a hot pink lace shawl. 


As the spring moved on there were more honey cowls, a return to the world of cotton washcloths, and a few other shawls for good measure. Oh, and one pair of socks. 


I *sprinted* through a lace and beaded shawl for my Dean when she retired, finished a sweater that had been  long lingering, worked through an entire pound of cotton yarn in something like three days? Oh, and also the hats started. I knit a lot of hats. 


Hats, honey cowls, and the Oak Park Scarf -- which was an enormous amount of garter stitch even for me. 


And then finishing the year with accessories mostly -- trying to get the project bags that are littered around Chez Hedgehog compiled into one place and emptied out - not merely lined up for me to admire yet again.  

I did a big shipment of things to friends in October, donated hats for an animal charity, and participated in Romancing the Runoff with one of those "other" cowls. That said, the gift bin is getting refilled, with a number of things completed and in Ziplocs with names sharpied across the front, just waiting until we're able to meet again (or until I get fed up waiting, decide the Post Office is caught up, and march things over there.) 

I went to write that this will be unlikely for 2021; a repeat of this. But then I went and scrolled through the projects and thought about when I started things and -- no, actually at least another 15-18km should be very doable. Theoretically. 

I also very much failed on my arbitrary January 2020 goal-which was to get my stash entries down to 150 from the 211 I'd started with (not 211 skeins, 211 different entries on Ravelry).  Buying from indie dyers during the first months of lockdown and through the fall has been a sanity point and I also want them to stay in business.  So, there's been a lot of yarn. I end the year with 250 entries instead. That'll be okay; there's always more knitting to do in 2021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...