Saturday, February 29, 2020

Resetting My Hands

In the throes of the dental floss, I started quietly imagining the projects I could knit when I finished. How fast would a skein of worsted knit up? How much bulky yarn did I have in the stash and could I justify a skein of Malabrigo Caracol or three. They'd only take 15 minutes to knit up.

I gave in and pulled out two skeins from a dyer I've been following and buying from but who I've not yet knit: Stranded Dyeworks. I started watching back episodes of Amy's podcast last year and -- since I'm also watching the most recent, I'm only about 80 episodes from being caught up. She chats quietly on my screen while I stare at charts and her colorways are really lovely.  


I've also been meaning to make a Honey Cowl for years.  Mason Dixon was knitting them in what seemed like the hundreds for a bit and everyone had a Honey Cowl. This seemed like an ideal opportunity to try out a couple of skeins of Amy's Merino DK in Pigeon Fancier. 


The base is fantastic, very squishy and this pattern is calmly repetitive, perfect for when I just had a few minutes here and there to knit. It therefore became my commute knitting (though I have to admit winter malaise has seen a lot more commute-staring-vaguely-out-the-window  than commute knitting).  


Gypsy approves.  She was really annoyed when I told her that it wasn't actually intended as a cat bed.  I still need to block it and I think it will probably grow a little bit with wear but overall it's ready to go, ends woven in and everything. Start to finish, with other knitting floating around on the side, it was done in two weeks. 


This also holds the rank of the first entry out of my Ravelry stash that has been moved to Entirely Used Up for 2020.  Everything else I've knit this year has left me with significant enough leftovers that I didn't feel I could move them out of the Yarn Stash tab. There's enough Hedgehog Fibres still to make another whole shawl -- and I've been eyeing some of the Nim Teasdale patterns --though I really must finish at least three more shawls that have deadlines before I start anything new in terms of lace shawls.  

Amy's yarn shows up in semi-regular updates; it can be a little hard to get ahold of but she's planning some pre-orders and her ever evolving colorways are really pretty. I have enough DK in another colorway for a sweater.  When you know, I have all the spare time. 

2 comments:

  1. OH this is beautiful!! I have had the Honey Cowl on my (mental) queue for as long as I have been knitting ... but somehow, it hasn't happened yet. (the day will come, I suppose). They colours look great on you! Congrats for a wonderful project finished. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...