Tuesday, June 4, 2019

At the Edge of the Eclipse

I finished my first Stash Dash project!! This stunning shawl has been languishing on the needles for almost a year, primarily because I needed multiple uninterrupted hours to focus on it. May I recommend flying to/from California for productivity on lace shawls?


Pattern: Illumine by Nim Teasdale
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Featherlight Gradient Kit in the A Total Eclipse of the Sun colorway   peat. 900 yards. Had less than 10 yards left.
Modifications: Added 1 extra repeat of chart 1 so as to have 16 leaf section repeats
Difficulty: More than I could consistently do on the train. I could hold a conversation/watch TV  while working on it



This shawl was lovely to work on. Moving through the miniskeins made it feel like a lot of progress quickly.  I do still have quite a number of ends to weave in, but that will require re-locating my KnitKit, which I very safely put in a project bag.  One of the ... several project bags that I own. 


What was probably most interesting to me was how the pooling across the different leaves happened. I did absolutely nothing to prepare or attempt to control for/against this. When one skein ended, I added another one on and kept going. Because it was dyed as a gradient kit, I didn't even blend rows.  Other than the transition from skein 1-2, I don't know that you can tell where the changes are and I doubt this would have made much of a difference.  


The final measurements are something around 65" x 27"? That is based on my eyeballing of my 1x1 blocking mats that are all currently covering my dining room floor.  The pattern is incredibly straightforward and clear; I will absolutely knit more of her patterns.  
(preblocking) 



This will be a gift, as soon as it is dry and I get those ends woven in, which will be very soon. While it is finally starting to get warm here and the planned recipient may not need it in the next few weeks outdoors-- there is always air conditioning to be battled.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...