Monday, April 22, 2019

Sprinting Towards Summer

I have had the worst case of start-itis since YarnCon. Nothing of my languishing on the needles projects will do, only new and shiny projects are started and then abandoned after a few hours work.

This will set me up quite well for Stash Dash but I think even I am starting to get a bit weary of the mounds of project bags littering the living rooms at Chez Hedgehog.

So, of course I started another project.

As you'll remember, one of my finds was this lovely watermelon gradient from BaH Yarns (Brenda and Heather). Last week, as I was failing miserably to focus on other things, I managed to wind up the Extra Rind skein and start on a Hitchhiker shawl.

Normally this elongated sawtooth scarf is done in fingering weight, so I did have to go up to a size 4 needle. And fortunately there are helpful notes in how to do the project in such a way that one need not be forever trying to guess if one has reached Row 8 of the repeat. (Yay for the Ravelry helpful notes filters) 


Combine that with a couple of parties with friends over the holiday weekend and I'm successfully through all that rind and on to the gradient. Last night I even got a couple of rows into the palest tinge of pink! 


The yarn is sport weight, so it's knitting up very quickly, assisted no doubt by my eagerness to get just to the next shade. I don't know if I have enough yarn to get the full 42 points the pattern calls for but it'll be a long and fun scarf either way. 

The yarn is Targhee/nylon, so it's a little less soft than a standard Merino. Nothing uncomfortable but it feels more like a good workhorse wool than the softest yarns that pill and fall apart if you look at them the wring way. 

Also, LolaBean Yarn Company and KimDyesYarn have an ACLU fundraiser underway with some really stunning colorways. Because they are pre-orders, you can get sport/DK as well, not just fingering weight. I have quite the affinity at the moment for not-just-fingering weight yarn and organizations doing really excellent work the way the ACLU does.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...