Wednesday, November 7, 2018

It Will Be Yellow

The major knitting project of Fall 2018 continues to be this hood/cowl for Viva. It's gone with me to New Jersey, New York, Iowa, a Chicago conference, and back and forth to work quite a few times. 


It also went with me to her house to help pass out Halloween candy, much to the confusion of a few small trick-or-treaters who couldn't quite tell whether or not *I* had the candy.  Considering I was in my hedgehog kigirumi, I realized I should have worn an apron. I could have at least pretended then to be Mrs. Tiggywinkle. Ah well, there's always next year.  


This project isn't particularly difficult in terms of actual knitting skills. But a non-especially-smart hedgehog didn't read other people's project notes on Ravelry before undertaking and apparently also didn't think through the math on this.  


The project is about 1800 yards of fingering weight yarn. An average pair of adult size socks, for me, is 300-350 yards.And that's mostly 1x1 ribbing because I like my socks to stay up and knitting ribbing doesn't bother me.  

Which is a good thing as this project is entirely 1x1 ribbing. For 1800 yards. Which is approximately the equivalent of six pairs of socks. Suddenly my complete belief that I could whip this out in 30 days or so seems perhaps not my most well considered?  


I finished the hood part (1.5 skeins ish) and I'm currently most of the way down one leg of the scarf part. I have another full skein to work through and then I need to decide how much longer the scarf legs will be, so that I can make them approximately the same length and use up as much of this delicious yarn as possible. 

What's struck me is how everyone, anywhere I take this, has commented on the color. It's an arresting and rich shade of dark yellow and Viva is going to look stunning in it. Just the pop she'll need on a cold winter morning. 

Assuming, of course, yours truly can get back to the knitting needles here quickly and through another few hundred yards.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...