Monday, June 11, 2018

Hint, It's Another Square

The next couple of months are going to be very square, though at the moment it is also very purple as I charge through those skeins. This is Square 19. Say hello and pour it a beverage. 



I started working on squares on May 12 and I have a goal of 42 squares so getting through this many in the first month is quite respectable. It helped that I had an international trip in there with airport time and that it is summer -- or pretending to be so on the calendar. But mostly it's been the determination of yes, I will knit pretty much everywhere and each square is only (ha) about 3 hours of flat out knitting time.

The dark gray squares are done, all 10 of them. And I finished Purple Square #5 last night.  There are 3 light gray squares done -- hence now on number 19. 

This project has spawned a lot more questions than I'm used to receiving anymore about my knitting. I don't know if it is because of the constant bind off / pick up stitches nature of log cabins or the fact that it's summer, or something else but several complete strangers have paused to inquire what it is that I'm making. Usually I get some suspicious looks and knitting is still one of the more effective ways to politely scare people off on the train (I don't know either, these aren't sharp needles and I am not flailing about).

I have another trip coming up and I'm hoping that can be either the all-black or the light-gray squares. Light gray might be better because I'll be conferencing again, but I haven't decided yet. The Philosopher and I will have to discuss the options.

I'm also chomping at the bit to start knitting something that isn't squares. I would like my project monogamy noted and acknowledged now because I'm not sure how much longer I'll hold out. I have already picked out what is next, who it is for, and what yarn and pattern I'm using. If you see me suddenly with much skinnier yarn, don't tell the squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...