Wednesday, August 27, 2014

For love of leaves

When Lime and Violet were still recording, Violet really loved Lisa Souza.  It's something she bequeathed to many of her listeners, I think, the love of her yarn and color sense.  The podcast has long faded but I still hear the angel music they'd play after each instance of saying Lisa's name. It's always a pleasure to buy Lisa's yarn, whether online or in person and I highly recommend stopping and chatting with her and her husband if you get the opportunity.

IMG_7269 (2)

Lisa's was the first booth that I stopped into at Stitches Midwest but it was my last place to buy. I could have bought everything but I wanted to be somewhat selective--so I waited until I'd gotten through my other purchases and wasn't just going to go full hedgehog into the racks of wool.

I was drawn to her natural colors. I'm on a fall colors kick. Anything and everything that looks like trees changing color has shown up in my hands if not my actual shopping cart of late. And this skein, Augustine,

IMG_7271 (2)

was exactly the kind of fall tree that I was looking for. I love the pop of purple among the more usual colors. This is on the Hardtwist Petite base, which is 100% superwash merino and will make really great socks. Or a really great hat, or something. I've got 500 yards to play with..

The Philosopher also picked out a skein (he picked out several actually but this is the one I bought). This is in the Sherwood Forest colorway

IMG_7282

I had a doozy of a time getting a picture of it, even in my little lightbox.  For whatever reason my camera just refused to focus, so you get a rather blown out picture and my apologies. At least you can see all of the various shades that are in the skein. It's a 100% superfine superwash merino, so it's even softer and squishier than the other base.  The Philosopher, of course, wants a triangle. I've got 525 so I might shoot for a small triangle and maybe some short socks, or matching fingerless mitts. It's just too pretty of yarn for extras to go into the leftovers bin.

This was my last stop at Stitches Midwest. I ended up with a total of 8 new skeins of yarn from the event, which is fairly restrained in my mind. Next up, I need to tell you about the new-to-me wool shop I found...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...