Sunday, August 24, 2014

Chasing Dragonflies

New to me at Stitches Midwest was getting to wander in the Dragonfly Fibers booth. I've heard of them before, but this was my first experience swimming into their colorways. I was overwhelmed by the beautiful colorways and the intensity of the dye. I ended up with two skeins of their Dragon Sock.

IMG_7256 (2)

First is this lovely Van Gogh's Sunflowers colorway. I was surprised at how much this enchanted me, as anyone who knows my color taste very well will tell you that yellow isn't a color I reach for very often.  Orange shows up in my wardrobe far more than middle-school-me would ever have approved of seeing, but yellow still isn't a favorite. Paired with this blue, though, it was easy to change my mind. There are a lot of shades to this yarn too: the yellow has flecks and tones of orange, the blue is three or four shades, plus there is some brown to anchor it. It's going to be lovely, though I'm not really sure what I'm going to make with it. 

The second skein is one the Philosopher picked out.  This is one of the benefits of going wool shopping with me, as both he and the Incredibly Patient Mother can attest, you do get to pick out yarn for the next project I knit for you. (Now I wait to see who volunteers to go to WI Sheep and Wool with me just so they can demand a handknit something....)

IMG_7250 (2)

The green in this skein seems to be one of their signature colors. It was in a number of colorways and I've not seen anything quite like it before. As a full skein, it was eye searing, but here it was a perfect bright touch. I expect that it will pop cables nicely, so that's the patterns I am eyeballing for the Philosopher.  

The yarn for both skeins is a two ply 100% merino and the base feels familiar. I know there are a number of dyers who use the same mills for at least some of their bases and this feels like one of those. That's not a criticism at all, it feels like an old friend and I immediately knew that if I was going to make socks of either skein that it would be on size 1 (2.25 mm) needles.

Anyone have ideas on what to do with the blue and yellow skein besides put it on the coffee table and use it as an art installation?




1 comment:

  1. I hate yellow too, but I love that first skein as well - it just does look so Van Gogh-y!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...