Sunday, July 10, 2016

By Weight

The shawl continues. Have I knit on anything else of late? There was a bit of a sprint working on one of the gray socks last week during a long meeting but other than that, shawl, shawl, shawl.

Everyone on various social media has been kind at the repetitive pictures of black yarn with speckles. The yarn is well loved and I've the impression that there's a cheering section of knitters waiting for me to finish it up.  This has been supplemented by a new site: I finally broke down and joined Instagram. I'm @hedgielib over there as well as on Twitter, if you're looking for me. I'm still getting aspects figured out. Hopefully I can set defaults to regularly post to Facebook--it'll be easier.

Joining came from a combination of frustration and prodding. Frustration because several knitters I know post there (e.g. the Yarn Harlot) and Instagram doesn't believe in RSS feeds and the 3rd party ones kept breaking. Prodding because AudioGirl pointed out that it would be all cats and knitting. She's not wrong, that's the plan. Too many pictures of cats, mostly Gypsy because she is better at posing, and whatever yarn is in my lap.

Where were we? Right, shawl.

I finished my rounds, weighed the shawl, and did the very long row to start the ruffle. Doubling every stitch, a standard in ruffling, takes a particularly long time and due to the method, the next row seemed excruciatingly long.

It's gotten better since then. And I've found that each row takes 10 grams, which is handy in helping me figure out how much more I have left.


The 68 grams picture is from yesterday and I just took the 48 grams. So, 20 grams in 24 hours and I did make a lasagna today, so it wasn't all knitting. My arm is definitely feeling it though and I expect progress in the next couple of days won't be as fast. 

But still, I have 2 rows left and the bind off. That's all. Part of me wants to go curl up and see if I can get through just one more row tonight before collapsing but I know that would mean soreness tomorrow and a knitting injury at this point is not worth it. This isn't a race and I'm not on a deadline other than Stash Dash--which is a full month away still. 

Within the week though I'm hoping to on to other things. Non black things. (Well, maybe non-black, more on that later though) 

Also, I'm out of sock projects that I can take with me on the train and to things. Everything is at a toe right now. That could be a problem. I should fix that before bedtime. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...