Real Live Finished Objects and the Indy500

Stash Day finally  started! A week ago. But I wasn't really participating until May 31, which is when I cast off and blocked my first two objects.


First up is the Lady Bertram Shawl by Wendy Johnson. I was pleased how this turned out, though was very burnt out on it at the end. Johnson calls for Chart A, Chart B, Chart C, Chart A, cast off.  Only, I still had a LOT of yarn left. Not enough to do another project and I was through enough for Loopy Academy but still...so onwards I went A, B, C, A, B, C, and then while in the first four rows of A (round 3!) I said enough. I could have done a complete repeat of A the third time but I'm okay with having not. 


Gypsy, of course, was helping with blocking. This is in the gift bin, waiting a final home. 

This project was supposed to be a hat, but it took a sharp left turn when I realized that because I hadn't read really much of anything properly, it wouldn't take enough yarn to meet Loopy Academy requirements. So I went for a double layered cowl instead and plowed through. 



I'm not entirely convinced of it's final existence. I really liked the yarn (shocking, it's BMFA STR)  but I don't know about the cowl. I might rip back the doubled part; I might pull out the whole thing. We'll see. Right now it's still on the blocking mats. 

And then last weekend the Philosopher and I went to the Indy500! It was my first trip to the race, though I grew up listening to it and have an odd amount of knowledge squirreled away, most of which I assume I absorbed from the local radio broadcasts. I pay attention to no other races, but bring up the Andretti or the Uncer families or mention something about pit stop times and I suddenly have thoughts and feelings


The centipedes went with us. They thought traffic should have been faster driving down I-65. Only 2 mph above the speed limit average speed? You'd think we were in a state that didn't race. 




On the way to the actual race, I knit in the van and I pulled out the sock for just a minute or two midrace to do a few stitches. Things were happening rather fast (200+ mph) and we all had a couple of drinks and I didn't want to accidentally stick anyone with a size 0 (2.0 mm) DPN. Tetanus shots + racing don't go together. We were sitting in the straightaway as you came out of turn 4. It was a fantastic experience!

And now, back to the needles. Stash Dash won't knit itself... 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting Adjacent

There had better be time on the plane...

You Should Too...