Welcome

I have some specific knitting goals set for 2010 and wanted to blog about them a little more at length, but without overwhelming my primary blog: Hedgehog Librarian.

A little about me: I've been knitting for almost seventeen years, with a lot of on and off in that first decade. My grandfather's girlfriend taught me and my mom was genius enough to make me take knitting with me when I moved out to go to graduate school. I started really expanding my skill set during/after grad school and now I'm rarely without sticks and string.

I teach a kids group and that's been a huge influence in growing my skill set. Inevitably one of the kids will come to me with a "I want to..." something I don't know how to do. My stock answer is "Great, let's start that next week." Usually this is so I can track down a pattern and teach myself. I learned how to knit socks over a weekend for that particular reason. Last fall I taught two advanced techniques courses for the kids and they really are blossoming on their own. It's rewarding .

I have what I think is a ridiculous amount of yarn. But I love it so. As much as possible I'm going to try and do some stash knitting this year, though I refuse to beat myself up for purchasing yarn now and then. Fiber festivals, keeping my local yarn store in business--these are important things in my mind. And there I have the opportunity to help small businesses and often women-owned/run businesses going. Very important. (Also, as I tell myself some days, it's yarn. I could collect something far more expensive/only decorative/harmful etc...)

I'm on Ravelry as PhireAngel if you're looking for me there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting Adjacent

You Should Too...

There had better be time on the plane...