Sunday, February 24, 2019

Waiting for Warmer Weather

Giving myself large garter stitch projects during a February which has been unbelievably busy at work was an unexpectedly smart plan. Can I read charts? Maybe, but garter stitching along and occasionally needing to bind off and pick up in a new color has been serving the purpose of oatmeal: filling, warming, soothing -- and not needing a huge amount of attention.  But first, a new project!


Picture of ball of yarn, just started sock project, and a beer

This is another skein of Yarns of Rhichard Devrieze Peppino in the When Flowers Bloom colorway. Or, as AudioGirl will call it, Bright Rainbow. I texted her the other day to warn her that my rainbow phase is apparently still well in full swing.  More on that once the new yarn actually arrives. 

I am, of course, knitting more socks. Size 0 (2.0mm) needles; 68 stitches; 1x1 Ribbing along the leg and top of foot; garter flap.  It's my current purse knitting. So far it's been to a couple of bars. 

And after three weeks on the first baby blanket and two weeks on the second one, I have an update. I'm getting through the garter stitch quickly! If I could have spent all of the time from the second on the first, it would be done, though realistically the reason I slowed down on the first -- as mentioned--was because it had become too  big from easy travel on the train.

baby blanket in black, gray, light gray, and bright green

Here's blanket number 1.  Fans of Mason Dixon will notice that Square 9 --intended to be done intarsia method with colors light gray and black side by side, is being done with two long rectangle instead. I have tried the side by side before and it annoys me and looks funny -- so, I find alternates.  

I'm about 5 garter ridges into the black, and then I'll go to the bright green stripe on the right side. Then I'll do black i-cord around the edge for some weight.  

The majority of knitting time for this now has been waiting on computers. Every computer I own has apparently decided to not work properly.  The Philosopher is going to have to do some major work on my home laptop and my phone has been cranky and websites that I think should work properly don't.... it's such fun. 


brown, orange, red, and green baby blanket

The second blanket is about to hit "too large for commute" level, which is going to be a problem if I don't get the first one done post-haste. I have about one more square of orange to get through before I'll find it unwieldy for the commute. Well, technically I already find it unwieldy on the train but I'll officially be done with flipping it around and it'll be too inconvenient to stuff into my work bag. Which means I must sit at home and watch British murder mysteries and knit garter stitch. Oh no,  not that. 

Now if my grading would magically finish itself without me... 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...