Friday, July 7, 2017

Summer Knitting, Sweaty and Hot...

Summer humidity has arrived in full force, at least for the next few days. This morning when I left the house it was overcast but still sunny-- during my commute (90 minutes/~15 miles) we came through a heavy downpour but then just into dense humid heat. And at lunch it was sunny and sticky.

Air conditioning will help with knitting; I was winding yarn last night
(Western Sky Knits in the Teal Giraffe Colorway)

and honestly it was just too hot to do that. I got it finished but didn't have enough oomph to continue on and cast it on. Maybe this weekend. 

And my big accomplishment, I don't have a public photo of.  The Philosopher asked for a hat/scarf combination. The original plan was with ears but this version I went with "functional for all winter" rather than "quirky and only works for two months of the year" 2 full skeins of BMFA Gaea Worsted. in one of the Raven Clan colorways. It's heavy. And should be very useful when the temperatures are about 80 degrees less than they are today.  Pictures eventually, probably next winter. He's already sneaked off with the finished object. 

I have, however, finished a sock! 


This is not a finished sock, but it's the sock seeing Hillary Clinton at the closing keynote for ALA. (Thanks Tod for holding the sock) This sock also went to the Indy 500; House on the Rock in Wisconsin; IASSIST in Kansas and it's been through several really interesting meetings at work. 


Now, generally speaking I don't get Second Sock Syndrome. Socks are automatic enough for me that I finish one, cast on the next and everything is fine. Otherwise I would not be half way through Pairs 78 and 79 (with at least two more pair at home floating around a third finished). 

Today...I have SSS. I really don't want to knit another sock. I liked the yarn, it's been interesting to haul around and I don't want to do Sock 2. Sock 1 had all of the adventures and now it's just a slog. I'm not traveling in the next month or so, which doesn't help.  I apparently knit Sock 1 too slowly.

I'll get it done. I like these and after the damage of last year I want a couple of new pairs in rotation this fall. That cuff right now feels ridiculously long though. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...