Saturday, July 16, 2016

How Much Can You Knit at a Conference?

I'm just finished with a lovely two day regional conference. Friends at UChicago organized and hosted the meeting and it was a wide variety of speakers and attendees. I heard from a wide swath of people from different libraries and roles within their libraries all working on interesting projects. I have notes on several things I want to ask people about at my library and I need to post my own slides, several people said they wanted to follow up with me about them.

This meant, of course, that I needed a new knitting project. Everything else at Chez Hedgehog is still at the "in the throes of being complete."  [The giant black shawl bindoff continues.] So on my way out the door on Thursday, I grabbed a skein that had gone with to Florida and back without getting more than a cursory look and the bag of "needles to knit FlaxLight" which I now apparently carry all over the place.

First order of business was to wind up the yarn while we were having welcome half-hour breakfast.


The yarn is Three Irish Girls' Adorn Sock in the Space Oddity Colorway. I bought it earlier this year and despite having spent the last two months sighing deeply over the black with rainbow yarn that is nearly a giant shawl, this held strong appeal. The neon factor help a lot. 


By the end of day 1 (Thursday), I had just put the sleeves on waste yarn and started the body of the sweater. Several people asked about the construction and TinCanKnits' beautiful sketches that accompany the pattern made it very easy.  I notice that in that picture the green isn't photographing very well. It's a popcorn knit--you keep thinking "just through the next rainbow, oh look, pink, orange, yellow, blue..." and around and around. Glancing down was always a surprise.



Day 2 saw a couple of inches work on the body. So apparently, about 35% of a baby sweater in two days. I wish everything went that fast and also that I regularly had that much knitting time. StashDash would be far more productive. Which would probably mean I would buy more yarn because of how fast I believe I can use it up. 

For now I will go figure out how long it takes to get this bindoff ruffle done... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...