Friday, January 10, 2014

May the Fourth (Year) Be With You

Time flies when you're knitting socks! It's my fourth blogiversary already. I was looking back through the archives and realized that I've knit about 50 pair of socks since I started, adopted another cat, moved twice, and all sorts of other things during that time.

I've been blogging here more recently because it doesn't come with feelings of obligation and deadline. My library stuff right now all has that feeling. Here is pretty and yarn and things actually getting finished! Visible progress! Last night I got the second fingerless mitt done, so I merely need to do a few rows for the thumbs and then start wearing them. It figures, the high today is supposed to be 40 and raining.

My archives also give me a history of how I have progressed (or haven't) as a knitter in the past four years. Plain socks truly are my rut, but they are a fairly decent rut to have. I've been rereading the Yarn Harlot's archives and I noticed, as I batch read, how often she would say "My Standard Sock Pattern."  Certainly, she knits a lot of interesting socks too, particularly those two years she did the Self-Imposed Sock Club, but at least I feel like I'm in good company by having a plain ribbed pattern that I like knitting with all sorts of beautiful yarns.

I was amused to see that when I watched the 2010 Winter Olympics, my goal was to knit a complete pair of socks in two weeks and these from sportweight yarn on size 2.5 (3.0mm?) needles. I've certainly developed as a sock knitter since then. I'm not much faster but a pair of socks in 2 weeks sounds pretty reasonable rather than a huge obstacle.

So now it's onward to another year. I can't predict a whole lot but I'm sure there will be socks. Everything else will just be amusing to see.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...